Tuesday, January 5, 2010

J'aime Ma Petit Chou


I succumbed to impulse and bought a bag of frozen brussels sprouts at Fred Meyer. Then I read a description in the paper of brussels sprouts in anchovy dressing. Here's what happened:

1 cup brussels sprouts
1/4 tsp fresh garlic, minced
2 T fresh lemon juice
about 2 anchovy fillets, minced
salt & pepper
about a tablespoon olive oil

Microwave the sprouts until they're about 3/4 done, add all the other ingredients, stir well, finish cooking. Dash on just a little bit more fresh lemon juice and a shake of parmesan before serving.

Here's what I think:

Use fresh sprouts. They're just better. There's nothing wrong with these, but this dish calls for ingredients that are as fresh as possible. The frozen sprouts will be fine in a slow-cooked thing, but they lack the nutty-tender quality fresh ones have. Likewise, real parmesan, grated off a block of cheese, rather than "green can" could only improve the dish. Worth trying again. It did occur to me that this is pretty much just brussels sprouts in warm caesar dressing, minus the egg yolk.

The little things on the back of the plate are some cheesy corn cakes that I'll post a recipe for if I ever get them worked out right.

Now, what do I do with the rest of the anchovies?

No comments:

Post a Comment