Saturday, August 18, 2012
This thing is also called a German pancake, but it is more fun to say "Honey, do you want to eat a Dutch Baby for breakfast tomorrow?"
The recipe for the pancake is exactly the same as the one found here, (except that I always use salted butter) but there are a couple things I think are useful to know, namely that
1. It does make a big difference to use eggs & milk at room temperature. They poof much less when cold.
2. Make sure the oven is fully pre-heated, then make up the batter. It is too easy to get impatient and ravenous and put the batter in the oven before it's hot enough.
3. Freshly grated nutmeg & cinnamon.
4. Heat the skillet on the stove top, not in the oven. Otherwise you will get it smoking hot and the butter will scorch and it will not taste good.
5. NO PEEKING! If you open the oven even once, the thing will go all flat and never recover, but it will taste good anyway.
In the middle of the winter, I'm going to break down and cook one of these in bacon drippings.