Friday, August 14, 2009

Avocado Gelato



The original recipe said this was 'avocado coconut ice cream' but I think my name for it is much more euphonious. Here is the recipe:

1 13 oz can coconut milk
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 avocados
2 T lemon juice

Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and whip the heck outta the lot. Freeze it. (Duh). The recipe assumes that you have a ice cream maker, I don't. I just put it in a metal bowl in the freezer and stirred it about once every 20 minutes until it got hard. That's the other reason I feel ok about calling it gelato, even though I'm a little disaffected when it comes to schmantzy names for stuff. I mean, gelato is characterized by a lack of air being mixed into it, unlike american-style ice cream which in cheaper brands can contain as much as 50% air, known in the ice cream world as 'over run'. Premium ice cream is all milkfat and sugar; el cheapo stuff is an unnatural froth of gums, air bubbles and packaging materials with spritz of butter flavoring.

I actually managed to follow the recipe, too, except that I didn't quite add in the whole can of condensed milk. That stuff is powerfully sweet, and I wasn't feeling it. On the whole, it turned out well, but my thoughts are that

1. It does not taste quite avocado-ey enough for me
2. the coconut flavor gets a bit lost.

I think that the next time I make this, I'll use regular coconut milk, not light, and add another avocado. Also possibly a dash of salt, I can't remember if the original recipe specified it.

My unplanned photo shoot got me some nice pictures, I thought. Somehow, I really like this one of my teensy teacup.

3 comments:

  1. I am not sure why you are calling it "gelato". Gelato is suppose to have less fat than ice cream. So, if it started out as ice cream and you have not changed the recipe, it should still be ice cream. Perhaps you could explain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hm. 'ice cream' would appear to be used as a blanket term for all those related frozen deserts, gelato being a particular variety. as I mentioned, one of the key characteristics of gelato is the relatively small amount of air introduced to the mix, but if fat content is a sticking point, I would say that this recipe is lower in fat than many, as it contains neither cream nor egg yolks as do many ice cream recipes. possibly it should have been labled 'gelato' to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, as I should have said in the first place, avocado gelato, avoCado gelAto, oh, oh, AvoCado-GelAto-avodavocado gelatoatoato. I still think it sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete