Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sewing patterns & their discontents

I am always convinced that using a commercial pattern to make a garment will save me time. In other circumstances, this is true: when I worked at Fantasy Attic, I made a jillion things from bought patterns, and they all looked lovely.

But none of them fit me.

I got this Folkwear pattern many years ago, when I was a teenager, I think.







I am very glad I did not attempt to make it then, because the first mock-up I tried, I followed the pattern precisely and it was the most boxy, ill fitting, oversized mess you ever saw.

The accompanying photo of the thing made up and worn by a model was a complete lie. The damn thing simply was not shaped like a female. Now if I had been a boy, I think I would have been very pleased indeed, but such is not the case, nor am I even much shaped like a boy any longer. Had I tried to make this in highschool, I think I would have been eternally demoralized.

No comments:

Post a Comment